A ‘sandwich’ course is a degree course that includes time spent on a placement, often in industry or business, away from the university. The sandwich program in the UK allows you to stay back in the country for an additional year besides a great exposure of your chosen industry. ‘Sandwich’ courses can be ‘thick’ or ‘thin’ and are favored by a few high-ranking universities.
A few UK universities including Bath, Lancaster, Surrey, Loughborough, and Aston are particularly keen for students to take advantage of this type of course. Placements usually take place after the second year of the degree course, so students will spend the first two years of their degree studying at Bath, followed by a ‘sandwich’ year on placement before returning for their final year(s) of studies.
Modern Language courses typically follow this pattern with Year 3 being spent abroad either teaching in a school, studying at a university or working in an industrial placement. Many other subjects offer placements and include Business, Engineering, Finance, Psychology and Sport Studies.
Although ‘sandwich’ courses are usually one year longer because of the placement there can be significant advantages:
- It becomes a add on while applying for job or at the time of placement as employers are increasingly looking for applications that stand out.
- The development of skills and understanding that will help during the remaining year(s) of study.
- The possibility of full-time employment with the placement company after graduation.
- If the placement is in a relevant field, the student may be able to attract a
- Insight into how the principles, skills and knowledge developed during the course are applied in a work environment.higher starting salary or a more senior position upon graduation.
There are two types of sandwich courses in the UK: Thick and Thin Sandwich Courses.
- Thick Sandwich Courses consist of one year of internship or work experience in a company. In these courses, you first study for two to three years and take up the placement in the third year.
- In Thin Sandwich Courses, you get two to three internships in different years. For instance, there will be 6-months of industry experience in your first year and then another 6-months in your third year.
Eligibility Criteria for Sandwich Courses in the UK
The eligibility criteria for Sandwich Courses in the UK are the same as other programs in the UK.