A ‘sandwich’ course is a degree course that includes time spent on a placement, often in industry or business, away from the university. The sandwich program in the United Kingdom allows you to stay in the country for an additional year while gaining valuable industry experience. ‘Sandwich’ courses can be ‘thick’ or ‘thin’ and are favored by a few high-ranking universities.
A few UK universities including Bath, Lancaster, Surrey, Loughborough, and Aston are particularly keen for students to take advantage of this type of course. Placements are typically scheduled after the second year of a degree program, so students will spend the first two years of their degree at Bath, followed by a sandwich year on placement before returning for their final year(s).
This is typical for modern language courses, with Year 3 spent abroad either teaching in a school, studying at a university, or working in an industrial placement. Many other subjects, including Business, Engineering, Finance, Psychology, and Sport Studies, offer placements.
Although ‘sandwich’ courses are usually one year long because of the placement there can be significant advantages:
It becomes an add-on while applying for a job or at the time of placement as employers are increasingly looking for applications that stand out.
The development of skills and understanding that will help during the remaining year(s) of study.
The possibility of full-time employment with the placement company after graduation.
Insight into how the principles, skills, and knowledge learned in the course are applied in the workplace.
If the student is placed in a relevant field, he or she may be able to secure a higher starting salary or a more senior position after graduation.
There are two types of sandwich courses in the UK: Thick and Thin Sandwich Courses.
- Thick Sandwich Courses include a year of internship or work experience in a business. In these programs, you study for two to three years before beginning your placement in the third year.
- In Thin Sandwich Courses, you get two to three internships in different years. For instance, there will be 6-months of industry experience in your first year and then another 6-months in your third year.
Eligibility Criteria for Sandwich Courses in the UK
The eligibility criteria for Sandwich Courses in the UK are the same as other programs in the UK.
Here are the main requirements to study in the UK.
- At least 60% from a recognized university.
- Proof of English proficiency tests such as TOEFL/IELTS.
- GMAT/GRE scores for master’s degrees.
- Academic Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- Updated CV
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
How to Study Abroad for Indian Students? Studywise International provides the Best Student Visa Consultants in Ahmedabad for UK, USA, Australia, and Canada & gets expert advice for applying to Top Universities.